The Full Story
Savannah Game and River Retreat is located on 3000 acres of unspoiled African bush and offer guests a tranquil and relaxing bush veld stay.
We are situated in the Free State just outside Parys – nestled in the Vredefort Dome World Heritage Site.
We border 8km of the Vaal River and are home to 25 mammal species which include Buffalo, Giraffe, Sable, Zebra, Eiland, Blesbok and Kudu, Impala.
Our photo opportunities are endless with grass planes, vibrant sunsets, bushveld, mountains, wild animals, Sotho ruins and the Vaal River to name but a few.
When visiting this beautiful game reserve, guests have a choice of staying in one of the 6 comfortable Luxury Tented Chalets that overlook a watering hole and the bush veld. There are 7 Lodge Rooms and 2 Rondavels next to the swimming pool. All rooms have en-suite bathrooms.
A cash bar is available on the premises. No alcohol allowed from outside the lodge. Guests can relax around the pool with a sun downer and enjoy a bonfire in the African Boma.
All room rates include classic breakfast, if it is a two night stay. If it is a one night stay breakfast can be ordered at the bar and served on the viewing deck. Menu’s for lunch and dinner are available. Please confirm meals when booking acommodation
SELF-CATERING OPTIONS - Braai areas are available. You are more than welcome to bring your own braai meat, charcoal, fire lighters and salads. We will keep your food cold in our fridges. Cutlery and Crockery will be provided at rates that will be discussed.. NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED ONTO THE PREMISES
FROM OUTSIDE THE LODGE. Bar will be open.
There are activities on the game farm such as game drives, fly fishing, river paddles, river walks, hockey, volleyball, soccer, and much more! Please bring along board games, etc for self-entertainment.
Wi-fi available on request.
We also cater for groups, conference groups, team building, birthday parties, weddings, baby showers and almost anything you can think of! Bachelor and bachelorette parties allowed – R5000.00 deposit will be required that will be paid back one week after departure, if there was no breakages or damage.
Savannah has a wonderful WEDDING VENUE. When you get married at Savannah, the entire 3000 acre Game & Nature Reserve is exclusively yours. The open-air Chapel is surrounded with exquisite white Stinkhout trees and is directly on the banks of the Vaal River. While saying “I do” the river quietly meanders past and the sun set explodes in brilliant colours of orange and red against the mountains of the Vredefort Dome. The tranquillity of the beautiful surroundings engulfs the ones with love and peace, gathered to witness the union of two souls. Hear the call of the fish eagle searching for its mate while perched in a tree nearby.
From the N1
- From Johannesburg, take the N1 towards Bloemfontein.
- Take exit 498 that says Parys/Sasol. Turn Right once you are on top of the highway.
- Drive 1 km, then turn Right at the Barrage Sign/Bon Af Berry Farm.
- After 600m turn Left onto the S280.
- Drive 6.8km and you will hit a T-Junction where you will turn Right onto the S171.
- Drive 1.3km, turn Left onto the S1052.
- Drive 2.7km and at the green and white road sign, turn Right.
- Drive 1.1km to Savannah’s gate.
- As you enter Parys, cross the bridge and turn Left at the robot.
- Continue on straight through town (the road is straight, makes a bend to the right
and then straightens out again).
- At the ‘Welkom Kafee/Parys Security/Barcellos’ intersection, turn Left and continue on out of town on the R59 towards Sasolburg.
- About 4km out of Parys is the Vaal Eden turn off on your Left – take this turn off.
- Follow the Savannah signs.
See you soon!
When you Arrive
NB: Please phone 082 475 9491, for the code on arrival at the gate.
Continue straight until the road splits and take a right to the Lodge.
PLEASE REPORT AT RECEPTION
Please remember it is about a 20-minute drive to Savannah on the gravel road so please take this into consideration when planning your route
From 21 to 28 days, guests forfeit 25% of the deposit.
From 14 to 21 days, forfeit is 50%.
From 7 to 14 days, forfeit is 75% of the deposit.
Less than 7 days forfeit full deposit.